Wednesday, June 01, 2005

 

picasso on glass....

I once saw on BBC TV - in London a long time ago - ...a documentary on Picasso... he was asked to paint on camera and he agreed on condition that he'll do it on glass and once finished the painting(s) would be erased/destroyed.... so on he went and did his paintings on a big transparent glass ...everytime he finished one, he'll wipe/erase this and start a new one and so on...it was very illuminating to see how he painted... some were figurative...some line drawings and some cubism...what strikes me as very interesting was that sometimes he started with one thing or theme and ended up completely with a different thing...if the BBC were allowed to keep any of these paintings they would be worth millions and millions....I don't exactly love cubism ...in fact hate it...

I saw Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon in the MET (?) New York a couple of times and I can't really see what's the point of it all....apart from the fact that it's the jumping off to pure cubism...I once stood there in front of this huge painting for may be fifteen minutes until I became dizzy ..but I really didn't get the feel of it...may be I'm just plain ignorant...but I do like his "conventional" figurative paintings in his blue period....

...Speaking of which, the only figurative paintings - specifically potraits- that I have are two oil paintings (not terribly good ones ) of two muslims that I admire very much...one is a copy of a famous painting by an Italian old master of Mehmet II the Turkish Ottoman sultan that captured Constantinople which forever changed to Istanbul and dealt a death blow to Christian Byzantine empire....The other is a potrait of Ayatollah Khomeinie...the man responsible for the downfall of the corrupt Shah of Iran. I was very tempted to get a potrait of Osama ben Laden done but I keep on procrastinating and till now don't get to have it done...but one day I will...he's another person that I deeply respect for his idealism and striving for islam....

....ah and now I'm looking for someone to do a charcoal sketch of a potrait of Shamil Basayev...the Chechen leader who's still fighting for Chechnya Independence from Russia right even at this very moment.......

....To me one of the best ( still living) potrait painters ...I had to agree...must be Lucien Freud...and incidentally, there was a good write up on him in last week 22 May Sunday Times (London) Magazine. And his grand daugther Ester Freud's "Hedious Kinky" is a charming little eccentric fiction loosely based on the loony adventure of her family in Morocco...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

<$BlogItemTitle$>